Saturday, August 13, 2005

British English uncovered!

WHAT WE SAY……WHAT THEY* UNDERSTAND…… WHAT WE MEAN…… I’m sure it’s my fault…… It’s his fault……It’s your fault. I’ll bear it in mind……He will probably do it……I’ve forgotten it already. I was a bit disappointed that….It doesn’t really matter…..You’ve really annoyed me! By the way/Incidentally…This is not very important……This is most important. I hear what you say….... He accepts my point of view…….You’re wrong! Correct me if I’m wrong…Tell me what you think....I know I’m right and that’s that. With the greatest respect…He is listening to me……I think you are wrong, or a fool. That is an original point of view…… He likes my ideas……You must be crazy! Very interesting……He is impressed……I don’t agree, or I don’t believe you. You must come for dinner sometime……I’ll get an invitation soon……No invitation (just being polite). Quite good……Quite good……A bit disappointing. Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005. From a guide intended to help foreigners understand the idiosyncrasies of British English, found by a journalist for The Economist in 2004 on an office wall in the European Court of Justice. Originally from Harper's Magazine, December 2004. Found again on the WWW and doctored somewhat (in the interests of accuracy) by Gerimedic(Peripatetic Language Consultant and English gentleman) * THEY -denotes anybody originating from across the Atlantic/Channel/North Sea ponds

No comments: